Who was Hereward the Wake and what did he do?
Hereward the Wake, (flourished 1070–71), Anglo-Saxon rebel against William the Conqueror and the hero of many Norman and English legends. He is associated with a region in present-day Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire.
What does Hereward the Wake mean?
Hereward is an Old English name, composed of the elements here, "army" and ward "guard" (cognate with the Old High German name Heriwart). The epithet "the Wake", first recorded in the 14th century, may mean "the watchful", or derive from the Anglo-Norman Wake family who later claimed descent from him.
When did Hereward the Wake die?
When did Hereward the Wake lead a rebellion?
Why did rebellions against William fail?
It is clear to see that the lack of unity amongst the rebels played a huge part in the failure of the rebellions against William and his Norman influence; this is supported by the sources which clearly show the disunity of the rebel motives, with many of the aiding forces being lead by greed and having been easily paid ...
Why was the Keep built on a high earth mound?
A keep and a protective wall would usually be built on top of the motte. ... One contemporary account of these keeps comes from Jean de Colmieu around 1130, who described how the nobles of the Calais region would build "a mound of earth as high as they can and dig a ditch about it as wide and deep as possible.
How did the Normans defend their castles?
Many castles were built on high ground with clear views of the surrounding land. Attackers were easy to shoot whilst swimming or rowing across the moats filled with water. Moats reduced the risk of tunnelling under the castle. ... Tall thick curtain walls surrounded the castle buildings like a strong shield.
- Who did Draco Malfoy marry?
- What is the success rate of a cochlear implant?
- Who is number 43 on the Ravens?
- What is Charles Darwin famous for proposing?
- Who is the 12 knights of King Arthur?
- What race was Genghis Khan?
- Can you get a passport in one day in Houston?
- What is the golden rule in Buddhism?
- Has Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio been in any movies together?
- Is George DiCaprio related to Leonardo DiCaprio?
Most popular articles
- What made Rob Lowe famous?
- Is Leonardo DiCaprio a dad?
- What disease does Rob Lowe have?
- How is Rob Lowe so rich?
- What is the story of Finn McCool?
- Did tulip mania actually happen?
- Did Big John Studd die?
- Is the Professor and the Madman a true story?
- Which were British Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery contributions?
- How much do pro dirt bikers make?